10 reasons why red hair is unique
Red-haired people are unique and quite rare. There are many different types of red and they are all amazing. But redheads are a little different from the rest of the world. They have some special features that make them the subject of many mythological stories and ancient tales.
- 1 1. Red is the rarest hair color
- 2 2. Has less hair
- 3 3. Can be seen in any ethnicity
- 4 4. It is difficult to paint
- 5 5. They need more anesthesia
- 6 6. They need to know more about skin cancer
- 7 7. They are more likely to be left-handed
- 8 8. They can resist pain better than others
- 9 9. They can change their temperature more quickly
- 10 10. They produce their own D vitamins
1. Red is the rarest hair color
Less than 2 percent of the world’s population has red hair. The parents of those with red hair do not have to have red hair, but if both parents carry the red gene, the child has a 25 percent chance of having red hair.
2. Has less hair
On average, a red-haired person has 90,000 hairs. Blondes have an average of 110,000 hairs, and brunettes have a maximum of 140,000 hairs. This is another feature that makes red hair unique again.
3. Can be seen in any ethnicity
Although red hair color is more common in people of northern or western European origin, it can also be found in any region.
4. It is difficult to paint
Natural redheads have a lot of difficulty in dyeing their hair in another color. The reason for this is that the hair is held more firmly on the pigment than other hair colors.
5. They need more anesthesia
According to research by the Journal of Anesthesiology, red-haired women need 19 percent more of anesthesia known as desflurane than dark-haired women.
6. They need to know more about skin cancer
According to the 2010 meta-analysis published in the International Journal of Cancer, redheads are about 2.5 times more likely to develop skin cancer than people with other hair colors.
7. They are more likely to be left-handed
Since being left-handed comes from recessive genes and appears in pairs, red-haired people are more likely to write with their left hands.
8. They can resist pain better than others
Thanks to the MC1R gene, they have a higher pain threshold. This gene releases a chemical called pheomelanin, which blocks the brain’s receptivity to pain.
9. They can change their temperature more quickly
According to research, redheads can feel the temperature in different ways and become more sensitive to heat and cold.
10. They produce their own D vitamins
Due to low melanin concentrations, they can absorb vitamin D enough. This means that redheads produce themselves when exposed to low light conditions.
Do you know redheads who can confirm these facts? Tell us in the comments and don’t forget to share photos with us!